Sunday, April 19, 2015

Brew Day: Jaggery Pale Ale

This was my first all-grain brew day and it went fairly well.

Some freshly shaved jaggery for the ale


My inital recipe didnt include jaggery. It was a fairly simple grain bill of light Munich, some Crystal 20 and some malt extract. I just wanted to get on with things after I sourced all the ingredients for my first all grain batch of beer.

Yes, I've made the move to all grain but will hold on to the malt extract whenever I want to make a quick batch of beer or bump up gravity for a barley wine or a Russian Imperial Stout. I sourced the ingredients from diybrew.in and they crushed the malt too.

As I mentioned at the start of this post, there was no intention to add jaggery at all. That was until I saw jaggery at the supermarket last week and I got thinking and reading about it. There aren't a lot of jaggery based beer recipes out there so I decided to write one. Jaggery can be purchased as clumps and I shaved off 300 grams of a huge clump of jaggery so that it can dissolve easily.

I also included rice in this beer to see if I can get a really light colored beer. I boiled the living daylights out of about 300 grams of Sona Masoori to extract starches and then added the Munich malt which converted its own and the rice starches to sugars.

Jaggery Pale Ale

Specifics
Batch size (litres): 8 litres
Type: Extract with Grains
IBU: 31
SRM: 8
OG: 1.066
Expected FG: 1.016

Grains and Sugars
1 kg Light Munich malt
300 grams Sona Masoori Rice
300 grams jaggery (add at 15 minutes to the end of boil)
100 grams malt extract (added at the end of the boil)

Hops
6 grams Columbus @ 45 min.

Yeast
Fermentis S-04 Ale Yeast

Schedules
Mash at 68°C for 90 minutes
Sparged at 80°C for 15 minutes
Boiled for 45 minutes.

Notes:
- I have plans to split this ale by adding mangoes or mango puree to one half for a mango ale.
- The wort colour is a dark orange right now and I'm hoping it clears up by the time it finishes fermenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment